Monday, August 15, 2011

Home Sick

(I had to write these journals for a class this past Spring. Thought a few entries would make a good preface for my blog... )

January 10, 2011

Each of the four assignment information sheets (VADs) I reviewed (Madagascar, Armenia, Mali, and Guatemala) mentioned “homesickness” under the section Potential Rewards and Challenges. Of course this is a potential challenge you think, and Peace Corps just offers a reminder amongst the excitement of learning about your new country. In a sheet filled with site specific information it nearly seems silly that homesickness would be included, as it is a general ailment across the country spectrum. Will I be homesick? I most certainly will. Homesickness won’t hold me back from going nor will it deter me while I am away.

A personal goal I constantly strive for is to live like I have no home. I do feel attachment to the familiarity of the place where I grew up and my hometown I am so comfortable with. But what if I attained the freedom to feel completely at home wherever I was, no matter how long or how intimate I was with the people and surrounds? Then it wouldn’t matter the Potential Rewards and Challenges of homesickness because the VAD would simply be telling me about my new home, my new familiar.

I recall from the gospels of the Bible, where Jesus replied to a statement from his disciples about how they would follow him anywhere. He said, “Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to rest his head”. That, along with the calling of James and his brother John away from their profession into a life of unknown excitement marks my inspiration for being a part of the Peace Corps. This is a good place to start my journey of Peace Corps through journaling.

Why wasn’t Jesus homesick? Apparently he had recollection of Heaven, of God his family. Well, he was Jesus. I strive not to be Jesus but his story reflects good principles for my future in the Peace Corps and the Potential Rewards and Challenges that the VADs offer. Homesickness is a term used to describe a collection of longings or “misses” of familiar people and environment. Why do I miss things and people? Because they bring me something – things like comfort and satisfaction – in essence I need them to have these qualities in my life. Logically if I was no longer in need of these things and people and I could cultivate on my own the qualities I associate to them, then I would not miss them. I would un-attach myself from these people and places. Their very being would still bring me so much joy, but they wouldn’t be necessary.

My parents and bed and best friends and favorite restaurants bring me joy, but they don’t necessarily make me happy. At least this is what I strive for and what I believe will help me overcome the challenges of the Potential Rewards and Challenges for my assignment in the Peace Corps.

No comments:

Post a Comment