Saturday, November 24, 2012

El Dia de Accion de Gracias: Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving one year ago was different than ever before. I don't mean in what I did - because I'm certain that every single Thanksgiving Day of my life I've done something unique, in keeping with tradition. Last year I was more appreciative of small things that I've ever been. Hot water, clean toes, etc. 

This year, I'm still appreciative, but less in the wide eyed, shell shocked at civilization, give me as much food you can sort of way, and more in the I totally appreciate my life, my friends, and what I've been given the opportunity to do sort of way. 

I met 150 of my closest Peace Corps Volunteer friends at a small rustic mountain eco-resort above the farming town of Cerro Punta. It was beautiful... and cold. I mean cold. OK, it wasn't snowing, but I wanted to put on a jacket like never before here in Panama.  It rained and we socialized and snuggled beneath multiple layers in our beds at night. I used the sauna with my friends. There was an amazing group of volunteers who cooked a fabulous real American Thanksgiving dinner. What was hard to come by (sweet potatoes??) was substituted (squash) and made delicious. Satisfied, but our stomachs not too full to slow anyone down, we did the night Latin (or Peace Corps) style with dancing. 





Photo Credits: Bri Drake

2 comments:

  1. Peace Corps girls are so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous place! And the food looks great! We made a point to have an "American" Thanksgiving while I was in Brazil too. A little taste of home is nice every once in a while :o)

    ReplyDelete