Saturday, October 12, 2013

Confessions

I'm not proud of everything I've done in the past two years. Never the less, I own it all. Here are some things with which I've finally come to terms.


5. "Laughter is the best medicine, unless you have diarrhea"

I pooped my pants after living with a host family during a technical week of training. It was the last morning, all I had to do was pack and walk up a giant hill to leave. I got ready, put on my backpack, and was about ready to leave when it slipped out. I was very sick, this wasn't normal behavior. 


4. I once ate an entire bag of Trader Joes chocolate-covered-peanut-butter-filled pretzels in a day. That's 2,383 calories... delicious calories.


3. I kept a 28 oz cup by my bed. I peed in it every morning and every night, and sometimes during the day. I peed in a cup because I was too lazy to walk 100 feet to the latrine OR it was raining OR I was afraid of spiders/cockroaches/whatever lives in latrine at night. 

If it was raining or no one was around my house I immediately tossed the pee out the window. If not, I'd wait. Sometimes it overflowed, and a few times I knocked it over. Thankfully I had a dirt floor. 

 

2. I mis-labeled the names of two European countries on my world map. I didn't correct it, because I figured they'd never know any different. 


1. For the first month in my community I was living with a host family who didn't have a latrine. Every day I went into the woods and pooped then kicked dirt on top of it. One time I was bathing (concrete slab with a bucket of water and curtains) and I was overcome with the urge to poop, so I did, and then flung it away. That might be the grossest thing I have ever done. 



1 comment:

  1. Erica, this blog post is so hilarious! I love it. We can wholeheartedly relate to the pee cup (we call it "The Pee Jar"). I hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete