Thursday, September 1, 2011

Overdue Update... Life in Panama

Today wraps up my first full week of training. Much has happened since I left the US over a week ago; I have learned about a hundred new Spanish words (and have a million to go), I have brothers now, and yes, I use a rustic latrine multiple times a day. But I'm getting ahead of myself... 

After staging in Arlington, VA, we flew to Panama City and stayed at the Ciudad de Saber (City of Knowledge in English) for a few days. This is a former military base converted to a compound that houses many organizations including the Peace Corps Panama headquarters. This was a gentle transition to the Panamanian culture, Spanish language, and climate. We were poked and prodded (healthy and not pregnant) and language tested (intermediate level) and talked at (safety, expectations, goals, etc) for the first few days by the Peace Corps training staff, getting us safely prepared to move into our community for the duration of training. 

On Sunday we were dropped off in the community of Los Mortales. After a quick informal introduction we were left to our own limited Spanish for awkward interaction and settling in. I adore my host family. I have more siblings than I have met, brothers for the first time ever, and a cool set of parents who make me feel at home. My family does equal parts helping me with Spanish and laughing at my inability to remember words. I like it when people think I'm funny, so that is alright. We have a lush yard surrounding our small cinder block home. Our one dog, bot, is happily fed on leftover and keeps our chickens in line. The hammock on our front porch brings my happiness to a crescendo. Electricity, yes. Water comes from a spigot out back, and the toilet is a decent latrine. This is how nice my family is... Day one: bucket bathing behind a tarp in the back of the house (more than fine for me). Day two: bucket bathing behind a tarped shower structure made out of carved lumber (privacy appreciated) . Day three: PVC pipe overhead faucet (shower) constructed (no more bucket) inside the shower structure. These people are awesome! Wild hibiscus plants drape over the shower in the shadow of giant banana tree leaves. I feel like I'm in a tropical paradise every time I bath. Which is frequent because it is so hot here! I appreciate the long rainy season because when it's noon and hot and humid, an afternoon rain shower and thunderstorm is my only salvation. 

I'll give you a quick run down of a typical training day. After this I promise less logistics and more stories. 

6:30am Get up. Sun rises early, and so does this family. Most likely I'll go for a run now with Bri and/or my brother, Gabriel. 

7:30am Breakfast. Fried plantains, fried hot dogs, fried eggs, oatmeal, or sandwiches (note my need to exercise).

8-9am study Spanish on my own.

9-12pm Spanish class. All Spanish, all the time.

12-1pm Lunch. Rice, beans, chicken, beef, or plantain combination. 

1-5pm Technical class. This is where we learn everything else we need to know for eventually living in own own sites. For example, how to build a water storage tank or host a community meeting. 

6-10pm. Hang out, speak lots of Spanish, watch or play futbol, eat dinner, yoga, or whatever else. 

Today I found out that I will be traveling to the Bocas del Torro region by myself to visit an already established volunteer next week for 4 days. Loma Bonita, outside of Almirante. Someone Google it for me! A seven AND a five hour bus ride, plus a 30 minute hike will (hopefully) bring me there. 

Tonight I will fall sleep to rain on my tin roof and frogs croaking outside my window. Life is good, gloria a Dios. Buenas noches! 

1 comment:

  1. So glad you have a terrific family! Are you taking pictures?

    ReplyDelete