Saturday, September 17, 2011

Piece Corpse.

Here is a little newsy update for my lovely friends and family.

Last Saturday we practiced working with ferrocement. We constructed the plancha or platform for a pit latrine and worked on a water tank. This week we were in our training community. We learned about aqueduct systems and basic hydrology and hydraulics. Having more than one degree in engineering helps understand those things, but our training group is diverse.

Tuesday I had an interview with the training director who will be placing us in our individual sites. The interview was to help determine what type of site would be best for our skills and desires. We will be told our sites the week after next. I hope you’re waiting in excited suspense with me! I’m pretty excited about some possible research opportunities and having a place to call home for the next two years.

Thursday was language proficiency interviews. Intermedio-medio is where I stand. I have a ways to go to eloquence but I feel pretty confident that I can communicate well now.

Next week is tech week. Our training group will be visiting the site on another volunteer to trouble shoot their aqueduct system and learn techniques for construction and data collection. Also, another shot at real-live Peace Corps living.

Still health, still happy. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers!




2 comments:

  1. Was this a freudian slip, "Piece Corpse" or did damn autocorrect catch you big time? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm writing in suspense to read were you ended up at.

    ReplyDelete