Thursday, February 9, 2012

Arts & Crafts

Kra
One of the crafts of the Ngabe women is to make chakras, or bags. These bags are looped from any sort of string. The traditional way uses a hand dyed plant fiber. The bags come in all sizes- from large enough to carry firewood, to bitty-sized for a cell phone. Both men and women use them as purses. When carrying a large chakra with cargo the strap is placed on the forehead and the bulk is carried on the back. This takes a very strong neck! I decided to try my hand at making a chakra with some ugly plastic string I had. I made a bag for my yoga mat. The women were so enthusiastic about helping me, but they couldn't understand what a yoga mat was (I finally called it a sleeping map) or why I would make a bag for it. 



Compost

I'm trying to make compost out of my food scraps. I'm using a 5-gallon bucket with holes punched in the bottom. Everyone in my community thinks I'm crazy. They wander by the outside of my house to sneak a peak inside the bucket. They just don't get it. It's been about 2 weeks and I'm patiently waiting for something exciting to happen, to show them I'm not more crazy than I know they already think I am. I scanned a few how-to compost sites online to get started. I'm now soliciting advice from my green-friends (you all, if it applies) to see if I'm on the right track. The physical characteristics of my compost are: dark in color, smelly, attracts flies, has maggots. To keep it moist I add coffee & grounds every morning and occasionally some urine (nitrogen, right?). I set it in the sun every day to make sure it stays hot. I've added dried leaves for a carbon input. Recently it has become more consistent in color and I can tell the material is breaking down. How long should it take? Does it sound like I'll have myself come rich compost soon? 




1 comment:

  1. compost looking good! not sure about the urine addition though, it's usually more C hungry than N hungry!

    ReplyDelete