Thursday, February 9, 2012

Cabbage, Corn, Beans.

Frijoles Follow-Up


Since I talked so enticingly about the beans we have right now in a post a few weeks ago, I thought I should include some photos to back up my description. Even my most flowery language couldn't do justice to beauty of these beans! During a recent bean de-shelling session with my neighbor-grandma and the kids, grandma took a call on her cell phone and the kids and I messed around taking pictures for awhile.








Finished!
Maiz


Corn. I've already raved about the corn here, how beautiful and tasty it is. I decided to make popcorn. Healthy snack, fun to make - right? I got some dried corn from my neighbor and tried to pop it in oil on my stove. No success, it burned and didn't pop! Neighbors inquired about the smell coming from my kitchen and I tried to explain to them what I was doing. I think there was a mis-communication, though, with the word for popcorn. First, I don't think anyone has actually ever eaten popcorn. Second, the word my dictionary gave me for popcorn is palomita. The root ("paloma") of which means bird in their vocabulary, and -ita means something small. They all thought I was cooking little birds of corn. That's cute, right? A literal descriptive translation. One women suggested the solution was to toast the corn, then cook it in oil. I had my neighbor-grandma toast it for me and I tried again. No better success. I'm about to Google it, but does anyone have any experience with making home-made popcorn? I don't understand what form of corn it takes to "pop!".







Cabbage Rolls

One night while thinking about what to make for dinner, I realized I had all the ingredients necessary to make cabbage rolls! I leaned how to make them last year, honing in on my German heritage. I improvised only a little (Enchilada seasoning? Sure!). They tasted a little like home. 






1 comment:

  1. My advice on the popcorn: only put a small layer of kernels in the bottom of the pot/kettle/pan/whatever you're using and I think it needs to be covered with a lid. That is all.

    ReplyDelete